Mold grows wherever there’s a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, around windows, or pipes, or where there’s been flooding. It can grow most anywhere, but especially where it finds food, such as on porous surfaces like paper, cardboard, wallboard and wood. It will grow deep roots into those materials and may spread within 2-3 days. Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. The more sensitive you are to molds, the more severely you’ll be affected. The most significant health risks are to the elderly, infants, people with allergies and those with compromised immune systems.

BUT, don’t panic. Mold is everywhere, both inside and outside. It’s been on the earth for millions of years, and it isn’t going anywhere. But even so, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends that no matter what type of mold is present in your home or business, it should be removed.

Mold grows wherever there’s a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, around windows, or pipes, or where there’s been flooding. It can grow most anywhere, but especially where it finds food, such as on porous surfaces like paper, cardboard, wallboard and wood. It will grow deep roots into those materials and may spread within 2-3 days. Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. The more sensitive you are to molds, the more severely you’ll be affected. The most significant health risks are to the elderly, infants, people with allergies and those with compromised immune systems.

If you suspect you have a mold problem, call Absolute Restoration immediately. We have IICRC (The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) Mold Removal Specialists (MRS) who have the knowledge and skills necessary to perform mold remediation for structures and contents. They understand and follow industry standards and the legal requirements necessary for the removal of mold.

Before we arrive, here are some helpful Do’s and Don’ts:

Do

  • Turn off the HVAC system and fans as they can help spread mold spores
  • Try to stay out of the affected area

Don’t

  • Touch the mold
  • Try to dry the area yourself
  • Bleach or use other disinfectants on the mold

What to Know About Mold

Besides being everywhere, here are a few things you should know:

  • Mold spores thrive on moisture. They can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. So…
  • Before we begin any mold remediation work, we’ll first find and repair any sources of water that should not exist. Otherwise, the mold may return.
  • Multiple types of mold can exist in the same house or structure.
  • If mold isn’t visible and obvious, a strong, musty smell is many times a sure sign that you have a mold problem area(s), possibly hidden. We have the tools to find any concealed growth.
  • Even high indoor humidity can support mold growth. So, try to keep indoor humidity below 45%.

Will Bleach Clean Up Mold?

Bleach will kill some molds (See “Is it Mold or Mildew”), but its effectiveness depends on the surface the mold is growing on. Mold can grow and be visible on both porous and non-porous materials. When dealing with mold on non-porous materials such as shower tiles, tubs, vinyl window trims, counter tops, etc. you can use bleach to kill the mold and disinfect.

So, what about mold growing on porous materials? Using bleach to remove mold from porous materials like drywall and wood can actually accelerate mold growth rather than kill it. Why is this? Well, when bleach is used on porous materials, the chlorine is left on the surface of the material and only the water component of the bleach is absorbed into the material. This then promotes mold growth as it provides more moisture for the mold to feed on.

There are also many other variables to consider. Is the porous material painted/sealed or not? Has the mold done actual damage to the material? In some cases, instead of cleaning the mold, a contractor will have to remove and replace the mold damaged materials.

So, to be safe, it’s best not to use bleach at all. (See, “Don’t Reach for the Bleach”)