Fires are devastating to homes and businesses and cause damage in numerous ways. Not only is fire destructive, but there are also lingering and pervasive odors left behind, not to mention the extensive water damage that results from firefighters efforts to extinguish the flames. The professionals at Absolute Restoration have the specialized training, equipment and experience that will restore your home or place of work to pre-loss conditions.

Once you call, Absolute Restoration will quickly be on its way. In the meantime, here are some do’s and don’ts to follow after a fire:

Do                       

  • Prevent the spread of soot to other parts of your residence by limiting movement in the affected area
  • Place sheets or towels over soot covered carpet traffic areas and upholstery
  • Change the HVAC filter
  • Place damp cheesecloth over each return and supply register to help filter soot from the air
  • Collect vital documents such as birth certificates, social security cards, wills, and tax records

Don’t

  • Enter heavily damaged areas
  • Consume food or drinks (no matter the packaging) that were near the fire
  • Attempt to clean any surfaces as that may worsen the damage
  • Use the furnace or air conditioner
  • Turn on electric devices

Removing the Odors

One of the main aftereffects of a fire are odors. These can be difficult to remove without professional know-how and equipment. For instance, did you know that several factors can impact the strength of fire odors? Some of these are:

• Size – The bigger the fire, the more objects have burned, and thus there’s been more smoke.

• Length -The longer a structure has been exposed to smoke, the more deeply odor has seeped into porous materials.

• Space – When a fire occurs in a smaller room, the smoke odor becomes more intense and concentrated.

• Stuff – Not all odors are equal. For instance, burning wood, plastic and protein, all emit different smells with varied consistency.

Absolute has the knowledge and ability to eliminate the diverse odors that occur after a fire. Besides the easily accessible areas, we also examine wall cavities, duct work, crawl spaces and plumbing chases to establish whether they also suffered any smoke or fire damage. We ensure that they’re cleaned, repaired and that all traces of odor are removed from your home or business.

Fire Can Be Prevented

Fires will always happen, but we prefer that you personally never have to experience one. To increase the odds that you’ll stay safe, consider these top ten causes of fire. Use this information to plan how to make your home or business a safer place:

  1. Cooking Fire: Splattering grease, unattended kitchens and flammable materials near heat sources
  2. Heating Equipment: Have your furnace checked regularly and keep portable heaters away from combustibles.
  3. Smoking: If you smoke in or near the house, always make sure the cigarette butt is fully put out and make the bedroom off-limits to smoking
  4. Electrical Fires: Lookout for frayed cords, the overuse of extension cords and overloaded outlets, and don’t run electrical wires under rugs or heavy furniture.
  5. Candles: Never leave them unattended and keep them out of the reach of children or pets.
  6. Children: Keep them away from matches and lighters to suppress any curiosity they may have about what happens when different items burn.
  7. Inadequate wiring: Often found in older homes and apartments.
  8. Flammable Liquids: Keep fuels, solvents, cleaning agents, thinners, adhesives, and paints away from heat sources.
  9. Holiday Decor: Keep your Christmas well-watered and away from heat sources. Check decorative lights for damage and never place candles on or near Christmas trees.
  10. Grills: Keep them away from your home, deck rails, tablecloths and tree limbs. And never use them indoors, including your garage.